Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 1 serving (with extra dressing and veggies for snack)
1 Sugar/cooking pumpkin including seeds
1 large beet
2 cups greens (I used green and red leaf lettuce)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
sea salt and black pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 cup olive oil
2 tsp Dijon or spicy mustard
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash pumpkin then cut stem off pumpkin by making a circle and pulling it off of the pumpkin.
- Remove seeds and place in colander to rinse and remove strings. Set aside to let dry.
- Cut pumpkin into sections, scrape away remaining strings and peel off outer skin. Then chop into chunks.
- Wash beet, peel and cut off ends. Then slice into chunks.
- Place garlic (whole and unpeeled), beet slices, pumpkin chunks and seeds onto parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil then sprinkle red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-40 minutes until pumpkin and beets are tender. Watch seeds and bake for less time, until golden brown.
- Let seeds, pumpkin and beets cool.
- Meanwhile, wash lettuce well and chop. Then add to bowl.
- Add cooled root veggies to bowl and mix with dressing.
- Portion into large bowl or plate, garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
- Save extra roasted pumpkin and seeds for a snack or add to your favorite dish.
- Add olive oil, juice from lime, maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper to blender or food processor.
- Peel and chop shallot then place into blender.
- Squeeze roasted garlic out of peel and add to blender.
- Blend well adding more seasoning as needed to taste.
- Store extra dressing for about 7-10 days in the fridge in an air-tight container.
*Originally published at www.rebootwithjoe.com and www.wellnessguides.org
Visit for more great recipes and healthy eating tips